The nominating process begins with an initial screening followed by the final selection. To submit a nominee for the initial screening, simply complete the form here.
If your nominee advances to the final phase, you will be contacted to provide additional information.
The Honorary Committee, comprised of volunteers from the community, will make a final selection for each award among the final phase nominees. Awards will be given in all categories providing the nominee has met the highest standards of achievement.
Nomination Categories and Descriptions
- OceanLeaf Leadership Award This award is presented to an individual or organization that is respected as a voice of and for the community. The recipient of the Leadership Award is a leader, dedicated to problem solving, finding solutions and building a stronger and more connected community.
- OceanLeaf Spirit Award This award is presented to an individual or organization involved in humanitarian outreach and represents belief in the human spirit as well as protection and advocation for human rights. The recipient of this award has demonstrated support for the humanity of the individual and the community as a whole.
- OceanLeaf Innovation Award This award is presented to an individual or organization that has been a force of unique innovation within the community. The recipient of this award has pioneered new ideas, demonstrated risk taking, and has maximized their resources to improve the quality of life within the community.
- OceanLeaf Health and Well-Being Award This award is presented to an individual or organization involved with the health and well-being of the community. The recipient of this award represents a selfless and nurturing individual, dedicated to helping others and ensuring the happiness and good welfare of the community, demonstrating an effort to bringing the community together.
- OceanLeaf Opportunity Award This award is presented to an individual or organization involved with the economic development of the community. The recipient of this award represents a dedication to the promotion of self-sufficiency and independence within the community, acting as a constant resource of support and a role model for others.
- OceanLeaf Emerging Leader Award This award is presented to a young individual that represents a new generation of youth empowerment. The recipient of this award upholds ideals of democracy, justice and responsibility, and aspires to be a role model and active voice for their peers.
Nominations must be received by Somali Family Service of San Diego by June 30th, 2012.
- Late entries will not be accepted.
- Incomplete forms will not be accepte.
- Multiple nominations are encouraged, but please only one nomination per form.
- Previous candidates are not eligible for re-nomination. Please note list of 2011 Past Honorees that follows.
- Candidates must be from the San Diego community.
SubmissionTo submit your nomination for any of OceanLeaf 2012 categories’, please complete the online nomination form click here. If you have any question or comments please contact us here.
OceanLeaf Awards Celebration
2011 Past Honorees
Below is a list of the 2011 OceanLeaf Awards Celebration Honorees for your information.
OceanLeaf Leadership Award Jessie Mills, Ph.D. Professor, USD
OceanLeaf Spirit Award Carmen Chavez Casa Cornelia Law Center
OceanLeaf Innovation Award Dory Beatrice Griffith and La Jolla Golden Triangle Rotary
OceanLeaf Emerging Leader Award Ali Artan Young Professional
OceanLeaf Opportunity Award Parker Foundation
OceanLeaf Health and Well-Being Award Horn of Africa: Families Together Program